Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jewellery


We were the lucky class to be able to use the casting machines for the first time at RMIT. The class is learning at the same time as the lecturers which is always fun and of course we always need the technicians help and guidance before we use it. We can only cast very small pieces as the cylinders in which we put the wax tree is very small. So I chose one of the molded fish heads (molds made from real fish) Didn't think that so much detail would come from that mold as in the wax there didn't appear to be much. But the scales have come through beautifully. I have to remember that in metal the piece will appear very different! Including the details.
I joined a loop on the back so I didn't have to solder one on after ward. They like to teach us to resolve the piece before casting it to make it look more fluid as if a loop is soldered on, and I'm not very professional at soldering, the joining mark would easily be seen whereas here nothing is seen.

These are the pieces that I've cast for my final assessment task in Casting for the Small Object at RMIT. Fantastic class as you are free to develop and create at will, being taught the basics of jewellery making such as soldering and cuttle fish casting.

Here, we're supposed to find an object or objects close to us that have a history and make molds or replicas of sections of the pieces. I have chosen a small wooden elephant I bought when I was about 9 from the Melbourne show and have kept for years. Not sure why I kept it for so long, but I've always loved the texture of the elephant skin and the rolls and creases.

These pieces are cast from the inside of the elephants ear. It's amazing to see how much they change, which is what I believe the lecturer wanted us to see. Such a small section of an object can be transformed into something that cannot be related or identified as part of the original object from which it was cast from. These are only two developments out of 5 that we are supposed to do from a single mold.




No comments:

Post a Comment